Contest Rules – Theme: Coming Out Stories
- We accept fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. The word limit for fiction and nonfiction is 2,000. Please submit up to five poems on separate pages in the same PDF and .docx.
- The dimensions for cover artwork are 6in x 9in (1800 x 2700 pixels) or 300 dpi. Images will only be used for the front cover.
- To submit your work, there is an entry fee of $10 per submission. Your entry fee is a donation to Philly AIDS Thrift and will support people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, as well as simultaneous submissions. Please let us know as soon as possible if the submission is accepted elsewhere. We will only consider previously unpublished work.
- All entries must be original works by the entrant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification. Excessive violence or sex, as determined by the judges, will result in disqualification.
- Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author’s name, pen name (if applicable), pronouns, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and a word count. Authors must include a brief bio statement of no more than 300 words. Every subsequent page, after the title page, must include the title and page number.
- To send your entry electronically, visit the submission page and pay the entry fee. Keep your receipt number for proof of purchase. Entries must be submitted digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org with your receipt number in the body of the email. Please send your submission as an attachment in both PDF AND .docx formats. All other formats will be returned unread. We will not accept any entries submitted via mail or in person (more submission instructions below)
- The contest starts on March 19, 2021 and all work must be submitted by midnight (EST) on July 1, 2021.
- All entries are final. No revisions will be accepted after the submission has been entered. Philly Aids Thrift @ Giovanni’s Room will make every attempt to recreate all submissions faithfully in the published book.
- Entries will be evaluated by booksellers and volunteers at Philly AIDS Thrift @ Giovanni’s Room.
- Winners selected for publication will be individually notified of the results by phone or e-mail.
- The grand prize winner of the writing contest will receive a $150 gift card to Philly AIDS Thrift @ Giovanni’s Room as well as publication in the anthology. The best entries will be selected for publication in the anthology.
- The grand prize winner of the art contest will receive a $150 gift card to Philly AIDS Thrift @ Giovanni’s Room as well as publication as the cover art for the anthology.
- All rights remain the property of the author.
- This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
- By submitting to the Contest, the entrant agrees to abide by all Contest rules.
- If selected for publication your work will appear in an anthology that we will sell to support our mission.