Product management has become a critical function for modern organizations, from small startups to corporate enterprises. And yet, the day-to-day work of product management remains largely misunderstood. In theory, product management conjures images of visionary leaders building beloved products. In practice, product management involves difficult conversations, frustrating compromises, and hard-won incremental gains.
In this thoroughly revised and expanded edition, Matt LeMay provides real-world guidance for current and aspiring product managers. Updated for the era of remote and hybrid work, this book answers the tricky questions you may have been afraid to ask about the strange, challenging, and rewarding work of product management.
With this book, you’ll learn:
- What the day-to-day work of product management entails–and how to excel at it
- Why no job title or description will resolve the ambiguity of your role
- How to bridge the false dichotomy between strategy and execution
- Why the temptation to focus on decks and documentation can be bad for your team (and for you)
- How to prioritize your time and pick your battles