The ultimate guide to the past, present, and future of same-sex relationship laws in the U.S.
Same-sex relationships are treated differently under each state’s laws, and more than a quarter of the U.S. population lives in a state with some form of legal recognition for same-sex couples. More than 100,000 same-sex couples have married.
“Making It Legal “is the only book that offers a comprehensive review of all the issues that influence the decision to marry and breaks down the complex and ever-changing rules of same-sex relationship laws. This book provides guidance on important issues that same-sex married couples may face:
– Is a pre-nup advisable? What does it involve?
– What happens when you want to file your taxes?
– When is a will or a living trust needed?
– What are the special needs of same-sex couples with kids?
– When should you turn to professionals for help during disagreements?
– How do you work with step-parents, past partners, and the blended family?
Nationally recognized same-sex relationship law expert Attorney Frederick Hertz and Attorney Emily Doskow have written the ultimate guide to the ultimate decision — whether to enter into a marriage or other legal relationship with your same-sex partner.
Since the first edition was published, numerous changes have taken place across the country. Some states have legalized same-sex marriage, and others have passed laws stating that they will acknowledge same-sex marriages from other states. This edition is updated to account for these changes in state laws and projects additional changes likely to happen in the future.