Evolve the humble CLI using Go and unleash the next generation of powerful, flexible, and empathy-driven interfaces
Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook
- Discover how Go enables the development of elegant and intuitive CLIs
- Explore a range of CLI development aspects and pick up a vast array of best practices
- Create engaging and user-friendly interfaces and learn how to distribute them
Although graphical user interfaces (GUIs) are intuitive and user-friendly, nothing beats a command-line
interface (CLI) when it comes to productivity. Many organizations sett le for a GUI without searching for
alternatives that off er bett er accessibility and functionality. If this describes your organization, then pick
up this book and get them to rethink that decision.
Building Modern CLI Applications in Go will help you achieve an interface that rivals a GUI in elegance
yet surpasses it in high-performance execution. Through its practical, step-by-step approach, you’ll learn
everything you need to harness the power and simplicity of the Go language to build CLI applications that
revolutionize the way you work.
After a primer on CLI standards and Go, you’ll be launched into tool design and proper framework use for
true development profi ciency. The book then moves on to all things CLI, helping you master everything from arguments and fl ags to errors and API calls. Later, you’ll dive into the nuances of empathic development so that you can ensure the best UX possible, before you fi nish up with build tags, cross-compilation, and container-based distribution.
By the end of this UX book, you’ll be fully equipped to take the performance and fl exibility of your
organization’s applications to the next level.
What You Will Learn:
- Master the Go code structure, testing, and other essentials
- Add a colorful dashboard to your CLI using engaging ASCII banners
- Use Cobra, Viper, and other frameworks to give your CLI an edge
- Handle inputs, API commands, errors, and timeouts like a pro
- Target builds for specific platforms the right way using build tags
- Build with empathy, using easy bug submission and traceback
- Containerize, distribute, and publish your CLIs quickly and easily
Who this book is for:
This book is for beginner- and intermediate-level Golang developers who take an interest in developing CLIs and enjoy learning by doing. You’ll need an understanding of basic Golang programming concepts, but will require no prior knowledge of CLI design and development. This book helps you join a community of CLI developers and distribute within the popular Homebrew package management tool.